Sunday, November 15, 2009

Peoplesoft VM : VMWare images configuration

After installing VMWare 2.0.2 on my server CentOS 5.4, time to configure the VMWare images.
As I explained in my architecure description, I'll need three VMWare images :

1. The VMWare image for Oracle VM Manager :
This image is optional, but since I'm not very well with the Xen command lines, and since I have enough RAM to have one more image running, I prefer to get the GUI (web based application) to manage the Oracle VM coming from the templates.
Oracle VM Manager 2.2.0 has to be installed on top of an OS, I'll use OEL5.4.
It should be large enough for the OS, a small database and the software required by Oracle VM.
I configured 20Gb (max., not fixed size) of hard disk, within 2048Mb RAM, and 1 CPU.

2. The VMWare image for Oracle VM Server (Database server) :
This image will host the Oracle VM Server used to host the Database server image.
Oracle VM Server 2.2.0 has to be installed from scratch (no OS), a small size is needed (less than 5Gb) for the software itself. But the image should be large enough to receive the database template (OVM_EL5U2_X86_64_HCM91_PVM) under /OVS/seed_pool AND the image itself under /OVS/running_pool which you'll work on.
The template is about 60Gb, same for the running_pool, that means you'll need about 130Gb all together.
Unless, like me, you have a NFS server which can host all the files (this can be configured on the Oracle VM Server before doing anything - I'll describe this step later).
Since I'll store all the seed and running pool on a NFS server, I don't need that much space onto the VMWare image itself. I configured 8Gb (max., not fixed size) of hard disk, within 2560Mb RAM (2048Mb required for the Oracle VM image), and 2 CPUs.

3. The VMWare image for Oracle VM Server (App/Batch and PIA) :
This image will host the Oracle VM Server used to host the App/Bacth server AND the PIA (web) server image.
Oracle VM Server 2.2.0 has to be installed from scratch (no OS), a small size is needed (less than 5Gb) for the software itself.
But the image should be large enough to receive
a) the App/Bacth template (OVM_EL5U2_X86_64_AB85002_HCM91_PVM) under /OVS/seed_pool AND the image itself under /OVS/running_pool which you'll work on.
This template is about 15Gb, same for the running_pool, that means you'll need about 30Gb all together.
b) the PIA template (OVM_EL5U2_X86_64_PIA85002_PVM) under /OVS/seed_pool AND the image itself under /OVS/running_pool which you'll work on.
This template is about 10Gb, same for the running_pool, that means you'll need about 20Gb all together.
That means, for this VMWare image, you'll need around 60Gb.
Unless, like me, you have a NFS server which can host all the files (this can be configured on the Oracle VM Server before doing anything - I'll describe this step later).
Since I'll store all the seed and running pool on a NFS server, I don't need that much space onto the VMWare image itself. I configured 8Gb (max., not fixed size) of hard disk, within 2560Mb RAM (1024Mb required for each Oracle VM image), , and 2 CPUs (maximum allowed by VMWare Server, but 2CPUs for App/Batch and 1 for PIA - that should not cause any troubles since they should not be overloaded).

Next step, the Oracle VM (Manager/Server) installations.

Nicolas.

No comments: